Isu Novels

Nuffnang

Monday, September 10, 2012

Research




Dear John

Description

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life—until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who has captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. “Dear John,” the letter read…and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love—and face the hardest decision of his life.

Did You Know...


The film rights were purchases by Sony Screen Gems, and that the film stars Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfreid?
John’s last name (Tyree) was a childhood friend of Nicholas’s?
John’s character was inspired by Nicholas’s cousin, Todd Vance?
Savannah was named after one of Nicholas’s daughters?

Book FAQs

How do you envision John’s future? 
I’ve never shut the door on a sequel to Dear John, but as always, the first step is to come up with a compelling story.  If I can do that, I’ll write it, and then your question will be answered.  I can’t say anything more, obviously, since I wouldn’t want to ruin the (possible) story.
What do you think of the movie adaptation?
I enjoyed the film and thought the filmmakers, director and cast did a wonderful job.
What details can you give us about the Dear John film?
Filming took place in late 2008, and it stars Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried. It was largely filmed in the Charleston area of South Carolina. Marty Bowen (Twilight) served as the producer and Lasse Hallstrom (Chocolat) served as the director.
Why did you choose that ending for Dear John (John and Savannah not being together)?
Because that bittersweet ending, to me, generated more authentic emotional power than either a tragic or happy ending. Moreover, it seemed to fit the story. I try to vary the endings in general so the reader never knows what to expect. Surprise is the final element of the modern love story.
Will there be a sequel?
I’m uncertain. While I didn’t write the novel with a sequel in mind, I’m open to the possibility. If I can come up with a good, original story, I just might do it.

Discussion Questions

     
  1. In the first sentence of the prologue, John asks: “What does it mean to truly love another?” How does John’s answer to this question change over the course of the novel?  How would you answer this question?
  2.  
  3. Savannah and John meet when John is on a furlough from the military and they fall deeply in love after only a few days. Is their love believable?  Do you think it is possible to have such an intense connection with someone you’ve only just met?
  4.  
  5. Trying to explain her interest in John’s dad’s coin collection, Savannah says, “The saddest people I’ve ever met in life are the ones who don’t care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand.” Do you agree with Savannah? Do you think John’s father is a satisfied man?
  6.  
  7. Why does John get so angry when Savannah suggests what she does about his father and how, in the end, does this revelation change John’s life and his relationship with his father?
  8.  
  9. Savannah is described by both herself and Tim as being somewhat naïve. Do you think Savannah is naïve? Why or why not?
  10.  
  11. When John goes back to Germany after his furlough, he and Savannah vow to stay in touch and to marry when he returns. Do you think it’s possible to stay in love with someone without seeing them for months or years at a time? How does being apart affect Savannah and John’s relationship?
  12.  
  13. John eagerly awaits his discharge from the military so he can begin a life with Savannah, but John also has a deep sense of duty and loyalty to his country and fellow soldiers. After September 11, John makes a decision that will change his life and Savannah’s life forever. Do you think John made the right decision? Does Savannah think he made the right decision? Given the outcome, do you think John regrets his decision?
  14.  
  15. Do you think Savannah should have waited for John to come home or do you think it was understandable that she moved on with her life?
  16.  
  17. After fighting in the war in Iraq, John has a hard time telling people about his experience there. Instead, when asked what it was like, he responds with a harmless anecdote about the sand because doing so “kept the war at a safe distance” for other people. What does John mean by this? In what ways does the Iraq War change John and what are his feelings about his role in the war?
  18.  
  19. After John’s father dies, he goes to visit Savannah. How has their relationship changed at this point? Is Savannah different from who she was in the beginning of the novel? Do you think Savannah is still in love with John?
  20.  
  21. How do you think John views Tim, and how do his perceptions change by the end of the novel?
  22.  
  23. What do you make of John’s actions at the very end of the novel? Would you have done what he did if you were in his position?
  24.  
  25. How do you interpret the novel’s ending? How do you imagine John’s future?


Inspiration

While I’ve earned a reputation as an author who specializes in tragic endings, I want to go on record as saying that my favorite novels to write are those with bittersweet endings.  I love to craft a novel – like The Notebook – in which the characters long to be together but can’t, for fate has conspired to keep them apart.  The problem, however, is that such novels are exceedingly difficult to conceive, let alone write.
Why, after all, if two people love each other, can’t they be together? 
A hundred years ago, stories like these were much easier to craft.  Class, race, feuds and religion were “fair game,” but in the 21st century – and especially in the United States – these issues simply don’t ring as true.  Yes, prejudice still exists and in small pockets of society, such issues might still predominate, but as a general rule, prejudice is frowned upon, and I strive to write novels that feel universal to the majority of people.  And besides, in novels where “love is supposed to conquer all,” most readers want to believe that almost any obstacle can be overcome
What then should serve as the obstacle in the relationship?  What causes the bittersweet ending?  Why can’t the two people be together?
The most obvious – and relevant – reason that two people who love each other can’t be together is that one or both is already married, and they are loathe to divorce their spouse for family reasons.  This was the “obstacle” that kept the lovers apart in both The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller and The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans.
Yet, I have a problem with that obstacle as well.  While I know it’s real and that it happens, adultery is nothing I want to glamorize.  I’ll be perfectly honest when I say that I find nothing romantic in it.  Nor does my wife.  And, obviously, it’s an obstacle that now lacks in originality, since it’s been overdone in both books and films.
This is where, of course, I found myself when conceiving the idea forDear John.  How could I make that idea at least somewhat original?  How can I make it feel universal to the majority of readers?
In the end, the twist I chose was to have the characters fall in love while both of them were single, only to have separation “forced” upon them.  In this case, I chose the circumstances surrounding the horrors of 9/11 and a soldier who feels the need to re-enlist, thus continuing the separation.   When he finally returns, the girl he’d once loved is now married, and hence, they can no longer be together.   Lovers are kept apart because of marriage, and yet no adultery occurred.
Everything else in the story – John’s relationship with his father, Savannah’s personality, Tim and his brother, the coin collection – were elements that came later and conceived as ways to best support the story’s bittersweet ending.
In the end, I was proud of the novel.  It is, in many ways, one of my favorites.  It is also one that I think will resonate with readers long after the final page is turned.

Writing Notes

After I was clear on the elements of the story, the writing of Dear John went relatively smoothly, which was exactly the type of novel I needed after completing True Believer and At First Sight.  Those two novels took a lot out of me; I find it difficult to write two novels in a year, and by the time I settled in to begin writing Dear John in early 2006, I can remember sitting at the keyboard before typing the first page and hoping that the story would unfold in exactly the way it should.
There was, of course, some research I had to do prior to the writing.  I had never written a novel in which the main character serves in the military, but I was well aware of the fact that I had to make John Tyree’s experiences as accurate as possible.  I drew heavily from a cousin (Todd) who served in the army.  Like Todd, my character was in the army, had nearly completed his tour when 9/11 happened, and chose to re-enlist (something he really didn’t want to do), for duty’s sake.
I also read a number of non-fiction books written by those in the military and published between 2004 - 2005; from those, I was able to glean the day-to-day life of a soldier, both on base and while in battle.
Like all novelists, there are some “story developments” that I find easy to write, and others I find challenging.  I suppose I’m most comfortable with writing – and describing – the relationship between the two major characters.  In this case, that was John and Savannah, and this novel proceeded quickly, since they met relatively early in the story.  Nor, as in some of my novels, were there “secrets” (that sometimes have to be slowly unfolded and paced correctly throughout the novel, adding an additional layer of complexity to the story).  These were simply two young people who met at the beach and quickly fell in love.
If there was one challenge to the story, it was in the “structure.”  The first half of the novel – actually more than half – covers the couple of weeks that Savannah and John were together and fell in love.  From there, I had to cover the next two years in much less time.  Finally, I had to wrap up the story between John and Savannah and the aftermath.  The breakdown of percentages was roughly this:  Part I-55%, Part II-10%, Part III-35%.  Thus, 90% of the novel covers maybe 3 weeks, while 10% covers two years.
It’s easier said than done to make a story structured this way flow “seamlessly” while trying simultaneously to up the emotional ante as the novel progresses.  It’s a matter of balance, and by the structure, the balance seemed – and initially felt – out of whack.  Thus, Part II was far and away the most challenging to write.  I had to keep the characters in love until they suddenly weren’t; I had to abbreviate vast periods of time to keep the story moving.  And all of it, of course, had to support and develop the emotional intensity that drives Part III.
Fortunately, after much ponderous, internal debate and long periods of simply staring at the computer without having any idea what to do next, I finally had it.  And then I knew I was getting close and Part III flowed nearly as easily as Part I.

Reviews

For Sparks, weighty matters of the day remain set pieces, furniture upon which to hang timeless tales of chaste longing and harsh fate.—The Washington Post
Sparks’s novel brims with longing.—Publishers Weekly
Sparks, a perennially popular novelist whose name is synonymous with romance and bittersweet endings and whose work translates so readily to movies, lives up to his reputation with his latest novel, a tribute to courageous and self-sacrificing soldiers.—Booklist

International Editions

Arabic / Jarir
ANZ / Reader’s Digest, Australia and New Zealand
Brazil / Novo Conceito
Bulgaria / ERA
Bulgaria / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Simplified Chinese / Beijing Hongwenguan
Croatia / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Czech Republic / Euromedia
Czech & Slovakia / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Finland / WSOY
Germany / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Germany / Heyne
Hungary / General Press
Israel / Modan
Indonesia / PT Gramedia
Italy / Sperling & Kupfer
Japan / Softbank
Korea / Moonhak Soochup
Macedonia / Prosvetno Delo Ad
Netherlands / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Norway / Damm
Poland / Albatros
Portugal / Presena
Portugal / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Romania / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Romania / R.A.O.
Russia / AST
Serbia / Laguna
Slovenia / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Slovenia / Zalozba Mladinska Knigna
Spain / Roca Editorial
Spain / Reader’s Digest (Condensation)
Sweden / Allers
Taiwan / Rye Field
Thailand / Matichon
Turkey / Alfa
UK/ Little, Brown UK
Vietnam / Nha Nam Publishing

Book Quotes



“In our time together, you claimed a special place in my heart, one I’ll carry with me forever and that no one can ever replace.”


“Part of me aches at the thought of her being so close yet so untouchable, but her story and mine are different now. It wasn’t easy for me to accept this simple truth, because there was a time when our stories were the same, but that was six years and two lifetimes ago.”


“I finally understood what true love meant…love meant that you care for another person’s happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.”


“Every single person you see is struggling with something, and to them, it’s just as hard as what you’re going through.”


“Part of me aches at the thought of her being so close yet so untouchable…”


“Even though you may not want to hear it, I want you to know that you’ll always be a part of me. In our time together, you claimed a special place in my heart, one I’ll carry with me forever and that no one can ever replace. You’re a hero and a gentleman, you’re kind and honest, but more than that, you’re the first man I ever truly loved. And no matter what the future brings, you will always be, and I know that my life is better for it.”


“What mattered most was knowing that love was mine to give, without strings or expectations.”


I finally understood what true love meant…love meant that you care for another person’s happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.”


“And when her lips met mine, I knew that I could live to be a hundred and visit every country in the world, but nothing would ever compare to that single moment when I first kissed the girl of my dreams and knew that my love would last forever.”


“I knew my father had done the best he could, and I had no regrets about the way I’d turned out. Regrets about journey, maybe, but not the destination.”


“There are memories for both of us, of course, but I’ve learned that memories can have a physical, almost living presence, and in this, Savannah and I are different as well. If hers are stars in the nighttime sky, mine are the haunted empty spaces in between…”


“Two weeks together, that’s all it took, two weeks for me to fall for you.”


“Right before everything went black, you wanna know the very last thing that entered my mind?...You.”


“And when her lips met mine, I knew that I could live to be a hundred and visit every country in the world, but nothing would ever compare to that single moment when I first kissed the girl of my dreams and knew that my love would last forever.”

Movie Trailer


Film/TV Sales

The film, starring Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried, and directed by Lasse Hallstrom, was released on February 5, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment